Eraring Upgrade Project
PPI have recently achieved success with our most significant project to date.
Eraring Power Station, located near Newcastle NSW, is being upgraded from a capacity of 660MW to 720MW.
PPI with our consortium partner Doosan was awarded the contract for supply and installation of components to upgrade the turbines, generators and boiler to achieve the required performance.
PPI provided all site installation works, as well as turbine governor controls, turbine supervisory instrumentation and local project management services.
Unit 2 was the first of the units to be completed, and was independently performance tested against contract requirements. As a result, our consortium was awarded contract bonuses for exceeding contract performance requirements for turbine efficiency, generator output and reliability.
Retrofit projects on this scale provide many challenges. Adapting standard solutions to meet customer requirements and fit within an operating power station, and achieving demanding engineering results in tight timeframes presented numerous challenges. Through our relationship with our client, Eraring Energy and the selection of suitable suppliers, we were able to develop innovative solutions to meet the challenges of the project and achieve outstanding results.
We congratulate our suppliers for their involvement in this project:
- Kepco Plant Services (KPS), who provided engineering staff for the turbine and generator upgrade site works, including balancing and commissioning support.
- Yokogawa Australia, who provided turbine control hardware and engineering services, including detailed design of turbine control circuits.
- GE Energy, who provided the hardware and engineering services for the turbine supervisory instrumentation and overspeed detection equipment
- Austpower Engineering, who provided NDT services including the development, testing and implementation of small-bore phased array ultrasonic testing of some 25,000 tube butt welds.
- Downer-EDI, who provided switchboards and cabling for the project.
- Mightylagg, providing insulation and scaffolding services to our boiler and turbine project groups.